Monday, February 12, 2018

Horror Annotation: Meddling Kids



Author: Edgar Cantero
Title: Meddling Kids
Genre: Horror
Publication Date: July 2017
Number of Pages: 322
Geographical Setting: Oregon
Time Period: 1970’s / 1990’s
Series: None
Subject Headings: Haunted Houses Fiction ; Detective fiction ; Mystery Fiction ; Horror Fiction
3 terms that best describe this book: Nostalgic, Lovecraftian, Engaging


Plot Summary: Meddling Kids follows the story of four friends and a dog, thirteen years after their summer shenanigans as teenage detectives in the small town of Blyton Hills, Oregon in the late 70’s. They return because they are not convinced that they actually solved their final case - they become convinced that they saw and interacted with creatures that should not exist - and they finally want closure. Relying on nostalgia for the era, as well as reader’s familiarity with a group of meddling kids and a dog solving crimes and unmasking the bad guy, this novel attempts to provide all of the above with a darker, Lovecraftian horror twist that makes it unique.

Appeal:
Tone/Mood: ‘Horror appeals first and foremost to the emotions, and primitive ones at that’ (Saricks, 2009, p.109). Meddling Kids begins by pulling at your emotions with a super creepy-feeling-inducing nightmare scene that sets the stage for the rest of the book. The book also has a strong sense of nostalgia running through it, but it is often overpowered by the sense of impending doom. 
Frame/Setting: ‘Horror is populated by monsters of some kind, and they are usually supernatural’ (p. 110). In this case, the fear that the monsters create is met within the first pages, but we do not actually know what the monsters are until well into the novel, and this builds tension within the book. The scenes are also usually quite detailed, using rich language that helps the reader feel as if they’re right there with the gang. 
Story Line: ‘Storylines in the Horror genre do not necessarily flow in a logical order, due to the influence of the supernatural’ (p.111). While the story line does follow a usually logical order, each chapter will change which perspective the story is being told in, which can add some confusion when a new character is introduced. ‘Readers do not know how the story will end...and the endings themselves are often vague, sustaining the menacing atmosphere rather than tying loose ends together’(p. 111). Meddling Kids keeps the reader guessing as to how the story will end up to the final chapter. I don’t want to give too much away here, but the novel finishes with some loose ends that are not resolved as they occur so close to the end. 
Style/Language: ‘Horror novels are rich in adjectives and descriptions’ (p. 112). There are pages that only contain one or two paragraphs each, because the new scene is being described in detail before any interaction with the scene is conveyed, or a fight scene is occurring. Cantero will also occasionally make up his own words (like tragichuckle), which adds dimension. 
Characterization: ‘They are usually haunted, shattered individuals or in some way vulnerable’ (p. 113). The gang definitely meets this criteria - not one of the members of the Blyton Summer Detective Agency came away from Blyton Hills unscathed in the 70’s, and their paths to adulthood were seriously altered, and this alteration is part of why they want to return to Blyton Hills - they want to see if they can fix where things went wrong. 
Pacing: ‘Is often erratic, with scenes of calm followed without warning, by more intense scenes’ (p. 113). This is very true for Meddling Kids. The begging draws you in, but after that there are periods of very slow progression that picks up exponentially once the gang arrives in Blyton Hills, and especially so on the day they decide to confront the wheezers.

Similar Authors and Works:

The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore  The small town of Pine Cove is turned upside down when a sea creature appears - attracted by the guitar at the local bar. The local constable has to solve the mystery as to why so many weird events (and crimes) are happening. Chosen for its humor, quirky characters and adventure that align with the gang in Meddling kids. 
Carter & Lovecraft by Jonathan L. Howard Daniel Carter, homicide detective turned private investigator, thinks he’s about to lead a simpler, quiet life. First, he inherits a bookstore, run by H.P. Lovecraft’s descendant. Then the people around him start dying. Chosen for its use of Cthulhu mythos and mystery-solving antics. 
Kill Creek by Scott Thomas Four writers spend the night in a long abandoned house in what they think will just be a publicity stunt. Unfortunately for them, the house has been inhabited for quite some time by another guest, that’s very much looking forward to their arrival. Chosen for its focus on a haunted house and creepy tone.

My Take: I did have some difficulty making it through this book - there’s a really slow period about one-third of the way into the book where everything drags. Once they get to Blyton Hills, however, the pacing picks back up, and I was unable to put the book down in the last three chapters - I was too concerned that not everyone was going to survive to the end, especially the dog. This book has been in my to-read pile since it was released, however, and I’m glad I finally took the time to read it.  





10 comments:

  1. Malissa,
    When I saw you reviewed Meddling Kids, I got so excited! My husband read it a couple months ago and said it was so great! He felt it was a modern day Scooby Doo. I remember him starting the novel and it was hard for him to get into, but after awhile...he finished it within a day or two! Now that a fellow classmate has read this novel, maybe I'll take my husband's suggestion sooner or later! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd actually think I'd have done better with the audio version of this one to get through the slow start and rich descriptions - I seem to get bored with them if I'm reading it, but I really appreciate the imagery it creates if I'm listening to it. The first 50% of the book took me over a week to get through, but the latter half took maybe a day or two!

      Delete
  2. Malissa,
    I seen this book on one of the many review sites that I look at and thought it looked interesting. After reading you annotation I think I need to go pick it up. It does sound like a modern day Scooby Doo story like Paige said above. Good job on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not one to read horror books. I think your review made this book sound interesting. If I were to start reading horror books, would this be the book for me to start reading them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this one sounding interesting, it can't be a bad place to start :) It's not *too* creepy, and it's characters that some might feel they have a connection to - being very much scooby-doo-ish. I started with some of the classics when I started reading horror, but that was because I had a difficult time finding more contemporary options.

      Delete
  4. Hi Malissa! This is a popular book for our class. After reading everyone's annotations I might have to get it a try. I thought you did an excellent job on your list of horror appeals with examples from the book. I have a question. Does the dog (or any other animals) get hurt throughout the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just went through everyone else's reviews, and woah! it was a popular one. The dog gets a bit injured, but he's totally fine at the end and doesn't seem phased by his injury :) I thought about mentioning it in my review, but didn't want to give too much away, either! The dog (Tim!) caused me SO much anxiety throughout the entire novel. It would have made the reading experience easier knowing he made it through fine.

      Delete
    2. I do not like spoilers and I usually never read ahead, but there have two books where an animal's fate was in question I just had to make sure they were good before I could go on with the book. I'm really bad because I don't care if a human gets hurt, lol (well, I'm not good with kids getting hut either). I know that sounds bad, but I have the most graphic animal abuse images seared into my head as a knowledgeable animal rights person and I have just hit my quota about what I can take. I know people make fun of people having triggers and I know we should all be educated so if you are in school you are going to read things that make you uncomfortable, but know one should have to be subjected to instances of abuse or rape in a book they are reading for pleasure if that bothers them.

      Delete
    3. Oh good lord, it's "but no one" not "know one." :)

      Delete
  5. Excellent annotation! I'm glad you powered through it and included your personal take after the read alikes. Full points and excellent job! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete