Monday, February 19, 2018

Science Fiction Annotation: Annihilation




Author: Jeff VanderMeer
Title: Annihilation
Genre: Science Fiction
Publication Date: February 2014
Number of Pages: 195
Geographical Setting: Area X, an area that borders on a large body of water, and which has been reclaimed by nature.
Time Period: Unspecified
Series: Southern Reach Trilogy
Subject Headings: Science Fiction, Adventure Fiction, Suspense Fiction
3 terms that best describe this book: Dark, Suspenseful, Engrossing


Plot Summary: The first installment of the Southern Reach Trilogy introduces readers to Area X, a portion of land that has been separated from the rest of the continent since strange occurrences began happening. Jeff VanderMeer gives us access to this new, dark world through his descriptive style. A group of five women (an anthropologist, a surveyor, a psychologist, a biologist, and a linguist) participate in an expedition of Area X. This expedition is the twelfth to enter Area X, and this particular expedition is tasked with further mapping and exploring the area for as long as they are able. They are to make observations within their notebooks, and Annihilation is written from the perspective of the biologist’s notebook. It follows the group’s initial decisions, as well as its eventual downfall, all while detailing the strange occurrences happening around them.

Appeal:
Tone/Mood: “Tone may disorient (or reorient) readers” (p. 229). There’s a portion of the story where you realize that the biologist is not a reliable narrator, and that she has been emphasizing certain points and downplaying others in her story to reflect herself and her choices in the best light she sees fit. When the reader hits this point, it can be disorienting - were certain descriptions accurate? Did interactions with her group actually occur? Was there ever a linguist?

Frame/Setting: “Setting is crucial and invokes otherness of time, place and/or reality. Both the physical setting of the story and the inherent technical and scientific detail create this essential frame” (p. 226). This is achieved by not telling the reader when the story is set - is it present day, past, future? The reader is unsure. Hints are given, like when discussing the type of technology used in Area X, and how it hasn’t been “updated” to meet current levels of technology but instead is a more primitive form.

Story Line: “Authors take a precept, perception, or idea and explore it, often in a setting outside our own world or in a future time, but certainly out of everyday contexts” (p. 226). Annihilation’s storyline occurs in an undefined time frame, but one that might indicate that it is nearer to present day. The idea of a banned zone, contaminated by something unknown is explored in great depth - what happens when humans encounter something they may have helped cause, but aren’t sure how to stop it from spreading?

Style/Language: “Science Fiction offers a range of styles and language crafted to suit the story line and to reinforce the intellectual and speculative nature of the genre” (p. 226). Annihilation achieves this with descriptive paragraphs of Area X and its inhabitants in language that flows and visualizes well. Obscure language is not usually employed, and if it is, further description is given so if the reader is unfamiliar with the term they can still interpret the meaning.

Characterization: “Science Fiction focuses on ideas and setting.The moral, social, and philosophical questions considered in the genre are woven into the storyline and are often pursued through the action, situations and events rather than through the characters” (p. 229). This is true in that one gets the sense that the biologist - the one ‘telling’ us the story - is merely giving voice to the experiences of Area X. The focus is not on the biologist, though we do get glimpses into her childhood and life before coming to Area X, but all of those experiences then weave back into the story of Area X. Further, the Southern Reach Trilogy focuses more so on Area X than it does the biologist. While we see the biologist in further installments, she is no longer the narrator.  
Pacing: “Pacing is usually determined by the amount of action” (p. 230). This novel is short - less than 200 pages - and it seems to fly by. There is more world building as opposed to physical action in this particular novel, but even so the pacing doesn’t seem too slow.

3 Relevant Works and Authors:
Dead Mountain: The true story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident by Donnie Eichar Dead Mountain follows the events leading up to and following the Dyatlov Pass incident in 1959, where nine individuals died on a hiking and skiing trip from questionable circumstances. There is much mystery still surrounding their deaths, and this mystery and tone are similar to that of Annihilation.

Starfish by Peter Watts The first in the Rifter series, Starfish is a science fiction work that follows workers in their dark, suspenseful terrain on the ocean floor. The suspenseful tone and the setting of misunderstood terrain make this a good match for those who enjoyed Annihilation.

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch Jason Dessen, quantum physics professor, find his life turned upside-down when he is kidnapped and finds himself in a parallel universe. In his attempts to return to his original plane of existence, he has to encounter further universes, with mixed results. Though faster paced than Annihilation, this speculative fiction offers a different type of other-worldness that readers should enjoy.
My Take: While I do enjoy science fiction from time to time, I have to be in the right mood for it. I didn't think I was in the mood for science fiction when I started Annihilation, but I still managed to fly through it. I kept reading more and hoping for answers. I have yet to get to the other two books in the trilogy, but it's something I'm looking forward to. 

13 comments:

  1. When a coworker described this book to me, she said it was a mix of Lost and X-Files, I didn't even think of the Jurassic Park similarities! Amusing though, as after reading it I recommended the book to my partner, who generally detests reading, but enjoys Lost, X-files, and, amusingly, Jurassic Park (the movies more so than the books). He's currently reading the third book in the trilogy, so I'm thinking the choice was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malissa,

    While I enjoy Sci-fi stories, I tend to prefer them in visual format to written. I'm not sure why this is, other than perhaps the inclusion of so much technical writing can sometimes throw me out of the tale? I tend to prefer fantasy...but this book sounds very interesting. I'm especially intrigued by the way you talk about the writing style (as journal entries of the biologist). The fact that you begin to become a bit unsure what is real and what isn't sounds like it would keep the reader on their toes (metaphorically speaking) as it progresses. Also, your suggestion, 'Dead Mountain', sounds like something I might need to add to my TBR list.

    Great job keeping this annotation suspense-filled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I pick out sci-fi choices, I'll try and find them on audio before resorting to reading them - I can get totally lost in the story easier that way, and the technical writing doesn't slow me down as much. I will say that the technical writing was relatively minimal in this one, at least for me, and my general focus is not in biology/hard sciences. I found Dead Mountain and immediately added it to my TBR, too!

      Delete
    2. Malissa,

      It's great when we find a book we like well enough to want to add the more by that author/in that series to our lists! I have to admit, I enjoy audiobooks, but not for all genres (sometimes they just feel so slow...compared to how quickly I could physically read it). But, I'm curious if getting through some books in genres which I'm not a huge fan of might help me...I'll have to try it!

      Delete
  3. Malissa,

    You have really caught my interest with this annotation. I am not usually a Science Fiction reader, but chose to annotate one this week to get out of my comfort zone. I really surprised myself with how much I enjoyed it, and am ready to explore the genre more, so this novel sounds perfect! I especially am intrigued by the idea of an unreliable narrator and a journal format for the story. There is so much that can be done with a story like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Malissa,
    I'm not too much of a science fiction reader either, but this annotation captured my interest quickly. I agree that I have to be "in the mood" to read a science fiction book as well. Would you say this is a book one can easily pick up and read (similar to your experience)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With as short as it is, yes! I picked this one up after it was recommended to me by a fellow librarian, and I was reading it when we had to choose which annotations to do for this class, so it felt like an easy fit. It's also short enough, I feel, that one doesn't have to worry as much about the time commitment, as it could be finished relatively quickly if one had the time.

      Delete
  5. Such a fantastic job taking different characteristics and describing how the book fits into each!! I am shocked the book is not very long. It is interesting you say that it is still a fast-read despite not much action. I really want to read this book before I see the movie, but something tells me the lack of action will make it a slower read for me than most science fiction books I've read, which are nearly all action-packed. I really hope you're right though! I am also shocked a date isn't mentioned, but I guess that means it is just so unimportant to the plot to make a difference, which can be good. That just means more detail to what is happening at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the movie this weekend, and I will say that the movie doesn't really follow the book. It does at the most basic level (the group of women scientists going into Area X), and seeing the world they brought to life was fantastic, but the main focus of the plot just isn't shown. So I wouldn't worry too much if you can't get to the book before viewing it! I do think the fact that it's a trilogy impacts it's length, but I also think it's good - I wouldn't have picked it up if I knew it was going to be 500+ pages. It would have seemed to daunting. But knowing I can take a break and go back to books 2 & 3 is nice. The time period was also interesting for me: I got the feeling that it was more 'present day', but that's never explicitly told, and I'm guessing it's intentional: VanderMeer wants the reader to question whether or not Area X exists now or not, or how it might exist soon in the future.

      Delete
  6. I've been intrigued by this since I first saw the trailer for the movie, and have been asked by customers about it. I didn't have much to go on at the time, and not only do you make me think I'll enjoy it when I get to it, but now I feel like I can discuss it well.

    From your descriptions, it sounds like you've done a really good job with your readalikes too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I am so excited to read this now! I've had my eye on the movie, not even aware it was based off this book...which is really funny, since I've also had my eye on this book; I was just waiting for it to stop flying off the shelves before I placed a hold on it!
    You did a really great job of highlighting the appeal factors in this book. I especially liked that you were willing to share the information about the biologist being an unreliable narrator--while some people might be disgruntled at the 'spoiler,' that was what really ramped up my excitement for the book, since I LOVE unreliable narrators!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added the unreliable narrator part because it's always a factor that I'd like to know about a book - I love unreliable narrators, too! I constantly question what's truth or what's been changed by the narrators in such books, and it just makes me enjoy the book more. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  8. I am literally TWENTY PAGES AWAY from finishing this! It's short and faced paced and I'm digging it. It's also mildly terrifying, it's very disorienting and makes me uneasy reading it at parts. I definitely want to continue with the series (I also love the cover art). Your appeals are spot on and I added two of your readalikes to my TBR, full points!

    ReplyDelete